10 things to do in South Cotabato, Mindanao

By Jamie - May 21, 2018


I will share in this post the top 10 things which I recommend that you must do when in South Cotabato based from my good experiences during my short trips to this province.  It takes only a 2-hour plane ride from Metro Manila to General Santos Airport and a 1-hour land travel from the airport to Koronadal city.

P.S. I have been fortunate enough to be able to visit Mindanao (first time) finally because the previous project I worked on included Koronadal city as its project site for data collection.  

Map of South Cotabato
1. Drink the popular T'boli coffee.  This coffee was available at every restaurant and food place we went to and I ordered it every time since I liked its taste.  I would describe that T'boli coffee has a light bitter taste but with a soothing effect, plus it also tasted good with creamer and sugar.  I immediately bought the remaining 3 bags of T'boli coffee beans in the hotel that we stayed in, but unfortunately I only had a bag to myself since I gave some to my friends.
T'boli coffee
2.  Eat fruits especially pineapples.  The Dole Philippines plantation is located in Polomolok, South Cotabato.  The prices of the fruits ranged from P20.00 to P50.00 per kilo (almost 1 USD).  You can also try the marang, which tastes like guyabano but sweeter and tastier, in my opinion).  It was my first time to try the marang which is a fruit not commonly available/maybe not available in Metro Manila.
Me, with my mom, holding the marang fruit
3.  Drive around to see the scenic views.  South Cotabato is a province in the Philippines located in the SOCCSKSARGEN region in Mindanao.  Its total land area is 1,519.68 sq mi which is a massive area to drive around.  I recommend driving, preferably renting a van and with a local, from General Santos to Koronadal city wherein you will drive through municipalities like Tupi and Polomolok, where you can buy the tropical fruits.

You can also take a short hike but with a local.  (Brgy in Koronadal city)
4. Eat (lots of ) Durian.  I have separated this activity since I think this should be an activity on its own.  Durian has an overpowering odor which can be unpleasant to some. The first time that I tried Durian, it tasted really yummy since what I tried was a sweet variant.  The people who also ate with me told me that they did not like the fruit before because of the taste BUT they also liked the Durian that we ate, so I think eating Durian is a hit or miss.  

If you will be able to eat the kind of Durian we ate, I bet you will also remember this one of a kind food experience.  It's better to have someone (who knows the good ones) to pick the Durian for you like we did.  The price of the Durian is P150.00-200.00 per kilo, way cheaper in Metro Manila where it is P400.00 per kilo and up.  If you want to take home some Durian, make sure to tell the vendors that you will be bringing it to the airport so they will pack it via airport standards. This fruit should be sealed properly because of its its strong smell or else I think there is a fine to pay if you are not able to follow the rules.
Durian

5. Visit the (7) waterfalls in Lake Sebu.   I have become a fan of waterfalls ever since I visited waterfalls in Dumaguete, Cebu, Siquijor, Baler, Negros Oriental, and the most recent was here in Lake Sebu.  I personally get a nice refreshing feeling when I am in the waterfalls; it feels cool and relaxing, even though I have a weird fear of water.  I think you will enjoy the waterfalls here by just looking at it since you can't swim in it due to the strong currents.

Total travel time is 2.5 hours to 3 hours and fare is less than 4 USD (P190.00)
General Santos Terminal -> Koronadal City bus terminal - bus ride
Koronadal City bus terminal -> Denmark terminal (UV express terminal in Koronadal city) - 
Denmark  terminal -> Lake Sebu - van ride of 30 mins travel time
Hikong (Alo)
You will just walk for 8-10 minutes to reach this majestic falls.  There are some uphills parts so just be prepared
6.  Ride the zipline in Lake Sebu (Waterfalls and Zipline Adventure).  I just posed for a picture wearing the gear but I did not ride the zip-line as I was scared to ride it at that time.  Only one of us did get to ride the zip-line and he said the zip-line experience was really refreshing and stress-relieving.  This zip-line is said to be the highest in Southeast Asia.  It has a height of 180 metres or almost 600 ft.  I think this zip-line is perfect for adrenaline junkies or persons who want to relieve stress.

7.  Check-in at Lake Sebu Mountain Log Resort, when you are in Lake Sebu.  Their rates are very affordable considering the views you can see from this resort and the location where the tourisr attractions are nearby.  They can also arrange the tours for you.  Unfortunately, we were not able to stay here but we did get to eat lunch here which was very good.
Lake Sebu.  You can ride a boat that will cruise this lake but unfortunately the boat was not available at that time.


For inquiries and reservations,  click here
Address: Purok Pag-Asa, Lake Sebu
South Cotabato, Philippines

8.  Stroll around Divine Mercy Shrine.  A drive less than 20 minutes from the Mountain Log resort.  This shrine is located in Sitio Floren, Barangay Lamdalag, Lake Sebu, South Cotabato.  They will provide the skirts upon entering the facility as one of the rules is for women to dress not showing their legs.  Various flowers and trees beautifully filled the path (5-7 minutes walk) to the shrine of the Divine Mercy.  If you are a Roman Catholic, you can go inside the shrine and pray.  I forgot the exact amount but we paid a small amount upon entering the shrine.
This place was a good place for me to just relax and enjoy nature.



9. Visit the house of Lang Dulay and buy some souvenirs.  According to my web search in Wikipedia, "Lang Dulay was a Filipino traditional weaver who was a recipient of the National Living Treasures Award. She is credited with preserving her people's tradition of weaving T'nalak, a dyed fabric made from refined abaca fibre."
Lang Dulay's moments captured in photos
We had the pleasure of witnessing one of Lang Dulay's successors weaving the T'nalak.  It was so amazing to see how an artful piece is being created with such accuracy.  Lang Dulay's son gave us a brief explanation about the history of his mother and T'nalak.  I bought 2 items, a purse and a long wallet, which I use up to now since they were of good quality.  Unfortunately, we were informed that there are knock-offs of the T'nalak and are of poorer quality (we bought 1 knock-off, without knowing it was, so we got to compare both and Lang Dulay's was better).


Last, but not the least, the most obvious and a definite must to-do is...

10.  Eat seafood especially tilapia (milkfish) and tuna.  The best seafood I have ever eaten was in South Cotabato and I could not believe that these fishes could taste this delicious.  The same fishes I tasted in Metro Manila, to put it bluntly, had no taste at all.  However, tuna and tilapia tasted to me, sweet like crab and shrimps with a mixed taste of chicken. 


Tuna, tilapia, and the rice are the must-tries.  I think the rice is different in this province since it is soft, chewy, and yummy.

We ate at different restaurants and I recommend the ones listed below.
Tilapia in Lake Sebu Mountain Log Resort
Address: 2020, Surallah-Lake Sebu Rd, South Cotabato
Different dishes of tilapia fish
Boodle meals in Paseo de Morales
Address: Purok San Miguel, Brgy. Paraiso, National Highway, 9506 Koronadal, South Cotabato
Crispy pork, pork barbeque, chicken barbeque, grilled fish, shrimps and some veggies (kangkong, okra, eggplants) and lots of rice
Sauteed mixed veggies in Villa Amor Hotel
We enjoyed the breakfasts and lunches we had here, although I don't have pictures. We stayed in this hotel and it was a good experience too.

Address: Corner Arellano St. & Gensan Drive, Gensan Dr, Poblacion, Marbel, 9506 South Cotabato
Shrimp dish in The Farm Coffee Bar
This place is a bit far and I recommend that you rent a van if you want to go here.  This place also has a walk path where you can sight-see trees and nature.

Address: Sergio Osmena Street, Koronadal, South Cotabato

So that's the end, I hope you enjoyed reading my list of things to do in South Cotabato.  I hope you will also have a good time in South Cotabato when you get a chance to visit this region.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments