Tosokchon Samgyetang 토속촌 삼계탕

By Jamie - November 12, 2016


Tosokchon Samgyetang 토속촌 삼계탕

After the amazing palace tour in Gyeongbokgung palace, (in another blog post here) I searched the night before about restaurants to try near the palace and I ended up with the Tosokchon Samgyetang place which is popular to locals and even well-received even by tourists 

We just had to use google maps to walk almost less than 10 minutes from the palace to the restaurant. I think it is better to walk since you can also appreciate the view of Jong-no District.  The streets have clear and big signs so you would not get lost if you pay attention to these signs.

ADDRESS: 5, Jahamun-ro 5-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul
서울특별시 종로구 자하문로5길 5 (체부동)

Finally after walking straight and crossing the roads twice, we arrived in this fancy and traditional looking Korean restaurant. We arrived just in time for lunch and there was a long line of locals and tourists waiting for their turn to eat in the place. Since we were already there, we decided to wait for 5 minutes or so.
MENU
ㆍSamgye-tang (ginseng chicken soup)
ㆍOgol Samgye-tang (ginseng Silkie chicken soup)
ㆍOtgye-tang (chicken cooked in a Chinese sumac broth)
ㆍDak-bokkeum-tang (braised spicy chicken)
ㆍTongdak (roasted chicken)
ㆍHaemul Pajeon (green onion pancake with seafood)


They serve a few dishes in their menu but I already choose the samgyetang since I really wanted to try this Ginseng chicken that is originally found in Korea.

The samgyetang soup tastes healthy but I liked it. The clear chicken broth is refreshing and the chicken meat is chewy and tastes fresh. The portion is a lot so I think it is good for 3 people.
Haemul Pajeon (green onion pancake with seafood)
The pajeon is good and it's not very oily. I would like it if tasted a bit salty but that's just me. It's worth a try if you haven't tried this Korean pancake.

I paid 12,000 won. I shared the Samgyetang with a friend.

By the way, the place is big so you don't have to worry that you can't eat here because of the line. There is just that volume of customers who eat here during lunch time.

It was an unforgettable experience since this is my first time to try this Korean dish in its homeland. Korean food is tasty and I think healthier because they always include vegetables in their cuisine.




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments