Masungi trail experience from a beginner's standpoint

By Jamie - July 24, 2017

My bestfriend from abroad wanted to do hiking so the trail of Masungi Georeserve was suggested as this was a popular choice due to the rave in instagram and facebook posts about this.  I have just one real experience of hiking which was in Pico de Loro last year in March so this was a challenge for an inactive person like me.

Overcame my first ever hike in Pico de Loro in March 2016
HOW TO REQUEST FOR A VISIT
1. Visit this site.
2. Click trail. Choose the trail you would like. We chose the DISCOVERY TRAIL.
3. Choose the date and time of the trail you want (available slots are seen). The minimum guests should be a total of 7 persons and a maximum of 14 persons. If the number is less than 7, the rate will remain at the minimum of 7. (P 1500.00 per person x 7 persons = P10,500)
4. Enter the complete details for all the persons (guests) in your group.
*I had to request for two times since I did not complete the guest details thus rejection of my first request.
5.  Once you have completed the form, wait for the email regarding your request.
6. After a day or so,  you will receive another email regarding the approval of your request.
7. You need to pay half of the payment via paypal or bank deposit. A confirmation email will be sent to you regarding the payment. The remaining balance can be settled at least four (4) banking days before the date of your scheduled visit.

WHAT TO PREPARE
1. Comfortable clothes -what you would wear for exercising
2. Hiking shoes (recommended) or rubber shoes that are really comfortable
3. Water container/jug - You will need this before and after the trail. They have refilling stations.
4. Towel (light towel)
5. Some light snacks
6. Extra shirt - you can change after the trail cause you will really sweat a lot
8. Small bag for the things listed above
7. Lots of PHYSICAL and Mental Energy

ON THE DAY OF THE HIKE
We arrived 30 minutes before our scheduled trail visit. The staff gave us a short orientation about the rules and regulations in Masungi and what to expect in our day trail.
Orientation
Prior to the hike, an email regarding the orientation, what to bring like the tumblers, and arrival of 30 minutes were clearly explained.

A helmet is required and is provided by the management in order to prevent accidents.

A guide was assigned to our group and headed the trail.

MASUNGI TRAIL
In my opinion, Masungi trail is relatively easy compared to other hikes (as said by my friends who were with me) since the trail is already paved and stairs are built. Although that may be the case, the stairs made it also hard for those who have knee problems especially going up.

We sat in one of the resting areas for a while to catch our breaths.

I think the whole Masungi Georeserve trail is a beautiful and unforgettable experience for our group. The views were really beautiful especially from this web as seen the pic below. If you are really afraid of heights, then Masungi trail may or may not help you overcome it.
The famous web where a lot of instagram group pics were taken
I can tell you that reaching that beautiful web was just the beginning of the trail. It was a third of the trail according to the guide. Nevertheless, the hiking was a good thing to burn some calories and catch up on my physical inactivity. After the hike, I really felt that I was taking my body for granted.
I don't want to spoil the experience so I will not write about the details of the hike (and I also can't remember that clearly).

I can say it was a fun and physically challenging hike. mostly for me, but it was worth it since my friends enjoyed the hike. They also wanted to do this another time but I said I will have to prepare physically and mentally for a hike in the future so I can enjoy it more.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments